Sunday, April 13, 2008

When Dad's Away,The Girls Will Play!

No pictures on this one.. Scott is in New Mexico working his walking adventures job this week with the camera.. He's been telling us of all the exciting things that he's been doing, seeing, eating, etc. etc. so I figured that we'd need a little excitement around here too! So....

On Saturday morning I packed the van, and we hit the open road. It was a beautiful day so we had to take advantage of it. I swapped a pair of rain boots for a portable dvd player with one of my neighbors, and surprised the girls! I told them that a clue to where we were going was in the car.... then turned on the Little Mermaid and after a few confused looks, they got it.... we were going to the beach for the day!

We drove to Ocean Shores, which is a fine beach and all but I must admit that I am a beach snob and really prefer the Oregon coast. Ocean Shores lets people drive out on the beach which just drives me nuts... for environmental reasons and because I don't like have to dodge cars while making sandcastles... but ....all that aside, we went to Ocean Shores and had a fun time.

I parked in a public parking lot just on principle and we made the 1/4 mile hike to the beach with all our gear. The weather was beautiful! We flew our kite, made sandcastles, blew bubbles, and got really, really "gritty"! At about 4 we needed to grab a bite to eat. We walked back to the van and set out to find the greatest clam chowder in the universe..... didn't really find it but had some really good stuff at this 4 star resort. Imagine the surprise as I walk in with my 3 little rag-a muffins after being on the beach all day long! The girls did a great job in this fancy place, we talked about using our "princess manners" and which fork/spoon/glass to use. I was really proud of them because this could have been a major disaster! haha!

After dinner we needed to find a good place to watch the sunset so we drove to another beach that wasn't as busy as the first. Since we had changed our clothes, the rule was to only pick up shells and fly the kite.. which worked for most of the time. Hope discovered that she got a really exciting reaction if she threw sand at her sisters... never a dull moment! :)

The girls were getting tired but we still had a bit of time before the sunset. So, against my "green nature-" (the environment type not the incredible hulk) we drove the van onto the beach and watched the sunset from the car. I must admit that it was a really cool experience. I think that later I"ll plant some flowers to make things right with mother earth.. haha!

We got home around 11p.m. and slept in today. What a wonderful day! Hello Spring!... Finally!

1 comment:

Mashel said...

What a wonderful mom you are Deb. That is a memory that the girls will cherish forever. How fun! It is too bad that you didn't get any pictures. What a special day for you and your girls.