Every year we try to stay away from the malls and shopping and go do something far, far away from the city. Last year we took our friends the Borens to Mt. Rainier and had a blast in the snow and this year we almost were able to take them to the Colombia Rive Gorge. Unfortunately they were sick and unable to come, but we still made the pilgrimage to our happy place.. the great outdoors!
We started at Oneonta Trail. I made it all of 200 yards and was about wet myself so had to become one with nature right there in front of God and all of the travelers on the highway. ( see top right picture of me giving the "you be mommy's lookout" speech) I"d like to think that all those drivers were looking at the road and not up in the woods, but the area is known for it's scenery so who knows.. maybe someone did see me making my personal waterfall but I just can't worry about that! :-) So, after I completely humiliated my children- not the first time I"m sure- we headed up the trail. It was a pretty steep climb but we played "name that Christmas Carol" and that kept the kids busy for quite awhile. Scott was a real trouper to pack not only all of our water and snacks, but also Hope! The Isom's have been hiking in the Gorge for a long time and it is so fun to hear Scott's stories of being in this area with his family. I Hope that our girl's memories will be good ones of our time together in this area... and not show up in a therapy session later in life :-) haha!


No comments:
Post a Comment